Tuesday, October 1, 2013

inspiration...Out of Africa



I am a little embarrassed to say that I have just now watched Out of Africa with Meryl Streep and Robert Redford. I am surprised it had missed my radar—where have I been? Needless to say, it is eye candy for those who love a good set design and gorgeous costumes set in the early 20th century European colony/Africa. While I enjoyed the romance, I feel like the true romance was between Streep's character, Karen Blixen, and her beloved Africa. Everything about that movie is breathtaking and makes you fall in love too. So, in Dd fashion, I pulled together a desk set that embodies a nice balance between masculine and feminine, African and European, modern and traditional. I used items from the new Nate Berkus line for Target as accents and details. I have really been enjoying the items he has for Target, have you seen them?

1. stag horn fern (pretty easy plant to keep alive!)
2. Nate Berkus/Target table lamp and shade (sexy and all blacked out)
3. Campaign Desk from 1stdibs
4. dhurrie brown and ivory rug
5. Zaha chair (my favorite fall item at Jayson Home)
6. Nate Berkus/Target woven ottoman
7. Nate Berkus/Target file folders
8. Theodora and Callum Kenya scarf

Out of Africa image found here

4 comments:

  1. I LOVE OUT OF AFRICA! Isn't it so beautiful in every way?? The dreamiest score too! Makes me tear up. Glad you saw the movie and have so much inspiration from it all.

    I like how you put this board together. So accessible and stylish.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't seen Out of Africa either... I guess now I have to! Love the colors in this collection, Rachel – And I love reading your words again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. BP-So glad you liked it, thanks for your comments!

    Liz-Go rent it, you will really enjoy it, maybe even pick up the book? Thanks also for reading, I am so glad you enjoy reading the blog, that means so much to me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. uh, EVERYTHING from Nate Berkus for Target, please. So so good. And that desk is such a beauty.

    ReplyDelete