Friday, June 14, 2013

inspiration...the revealing bookshelf

I think shoes and books are the two most immediate/intimate ways you can get to know a person without even saying a word. People watching in a park or swinging by your new friend's bookcase and you can find out loads of information about people. Yesterday on my way to get coffee, I was wondering if my shoes and my books were saying the same thing, speaking the same language. My first reaction was "nope," but the more I pondered it the more I would say, "well, maybe."

Here are a few shots of a couple of cubbies in my bookshelf:




























































































So as you can see I love art, print and pattern, letterpress and screen printing, interior design, graphic design, modern furniture design, fashion, memoirs, Pottery Barn, gardens, poems, color, and of course Audrey Hepburn.


Here are a few of my favorite shoes and how they might connect with some of my books.


















































































1. What Would Audrey Do? by Pamela Keogh paired with the Patagonia Maha Breaths
I helped design these flats while working with Patagonia's footwear team. They are so comfortable to wear and when I pair them with black capri pants I feel a bit like Audrey.

2. Pantone The 20th Century in Color paired with TOMS linen in coral
My past TOMS purchases were for grey or black, but the coral reminds me to have some fun with color and not take myself too seriously. I am such a huge fan of color and I enjoy reading how color was used in various parts of everyday life throughout the 20th century.

3. Grace by Grace Coddington paired with Sam Edelman cat print slip ons
What can I say, Grace Coddington is the crazy talented cat lady of the fashion world. She stole the show (and all our hearts) in The September Issue and these shoes just remind me of her. I also feel a bit more fashionable wearing them. Not sure if that is true or not, ha!

4. Let my people go surfing by Yvon Chouinard paired with Patagonia Bandha slice
I loved working on the Patagonia brand, I learned so much about their voice and what makes them tick. It is an incredible brand and a great place to visit and work. When I wear my slice sandals, I feel like I am in California listening to the lapping waves.

5. Garden Anywhere by Alys Fowler paired with my Hunter boots
Hunters are my kind of sexy and gardening is fun and this book shares how you can garden (and be sexy) anywhere! Perfect combo.

How do your shoes and stack of books connect? What interesting information have you found out about someone based off their shelf titles?

Enjoy today.
Rachel

No comments:

Post a Comment