Monday, February 4, 2013

inspiration...Charles Schulz's studio






Growing up, I remember every Sunday, after the final drop of coffee was gone and the last article read, it was my turn to read the "funnies" with my Mom. I loved Peanuts, For Better For Worse, Cathy, The Far Side. Somtimes it went over my head, sometimes not. Peanuts was always one I knew I would get. Charles Schulz had a way of getting to the point without leaving out humor or very real emotion. Over the nearly 50 years that Peanuts was published, Schulz drew more than 18,000 strips. And like a true writer and illustrator, he grew and developed his characters over those 50 years, though they were always going to stay children. The Museum of Science and Industry (one of the best places to visit and learn) did a wonderful exhibit of the work of Schulz and his characters in Peanuts. They even featured his personal workspace taken from his home in California. Very homey, wood panels, pin board of family photos (his main inspiration for characters and scenarios), comfortable chair, rulers, slanted desktop, whiteout, and of course a large amount of pens completed the space.

"In order to be creative and do his best work, he needed the familiar surroundings of his studio." 

Nothing fancy, but it got the work done. An entire life's work done.



No comments:

Post a Comment